FAR INFRARED SAUNA THERAPY
Far infrared saunas are a relaxing and enjoyable way of giving your whole body a gentle detox but their therapeutic effects go way beyond just detoxification. Far Infrared Saunas stimulate healing by:-
- Boosting mitocondrial function in cells
- Raising core body temperature
- Boosting resilience to electromagnetic radiation
- Ridding the body of viral infections (hyperthermal therapy is sometimes used for chronic infections) such as Epstein Barr, Herpes and retro viruses
- Improving circulation
- Increasing your own far infrared frequencies (low in chronic illness)
- Stimulating the release of toxins through the skin
- Far infrared saunas help restore cellular polarity (which is lost from exposure to mobiles, wi-fi, Smart technology etc.)
- Encourage healthy gene expression.
Today we live in an invisible cesspool of pollution, in our food, water and air. From gardening and cleaning products to toiletries and food, by the time you have showered, eaten breakfast and put make-up on you are likely to have been exposed to an average of 120 chemicals before you leave the house. Even the clothes you wear are contaminated by petrochemicals. Tap water contains volatile organic compounds, aluminium, petrochemicals, tricholorethylene, drug residues, including hormones, carbotetrachloride and in some areas fluoride. Furniture, carpets and cars outgas flame retardant chemicals, formaldehyde and other lethal chemicals which are inhaled and stored in the brain. Fat biopsies and placental analysis have shown that everyone on the planet, including remote hunter gatherers, have chemicals and heavy metals stored in their tissues. Over the last 50 years it is estimated that 5 million chemicals have been introduced of which less than 10% have been tested for toxicity. It is also known that the combined effects of more than one toxin amplifies toxicity and that toxins accumulate in fatty tissue like the brain and breasts, with the toxic burden increasing as we age. We all have between 20,000 and 30,000 toxins in our bodies. Toxicity compromises the body’s natural ability to heal resulting in chronic health problems.
Why are far infrared saunas better than traditional saunas?
Far Infrared Rays are the healthy rays contained in sunlight that are responsible for photosynthesis, the process used by plants to produce energy and are essential for life. Albert Szent-Gyorgi, Nobel Prize Winner and the discoverer of vitamin C, believed that all energy from the sun has profound effects on us. His research showed that light can literally alter the body’s basic biological functions. When FIR is absorbed by the cells it is like being in the sunshine, your body is warmed up, and you feel nice and relaxed full of energy. FIR rays penetrate the body deeply even at temperatures as low as 370C (body temperature).
|Conventional Steam Saunas||Far Infrared Saunas|
Around 50% of our natural body energy should be far infrared with 60% between the range of 10-20 microns. This may be low in those with toxicity, environmental illness and fatigue related problems. Far Infrared rays are safe and beneficial (J Cardiol.2008).
Wavelengths of light can be measured in millimeters but are usually measured in units called microns just because the measurements involved are so small; for example, 0.00076mm.
1 Micron = 0.001mm
So, these wavelengths of light are as you guessed very, very short.
Near Infrared: 0.76 – 1.4 microns
Infrared A (IR- A) (0.00076mm – 0.0014mm)
Mid Infrared: 1.4 – 3 microns
(IR-B) (0.0014mm- 0.003mm)
Far Infrared: 3 – 1000 microns
(IR-C) (0.003mm – 1.00mm)
Near Infrared is the shortest wavelength through to Far Infrared which is the longest ranging from 0.003mm – 1mm.
Far Infrared is Safe – Your Body Generates Far Infrared
The human body generates FIR between 8-14 microns. When our bodies are heated by FIR the activity level of our atoms is increased and heat can be generated. Night vision goggles used by the military work by detecting the Infrared Rays generated by the body. Our bodies radiate FIR energy through the skin at 3 to 50 microns, with most output at 9.4 microns. Our palms emit it too, from 8 to 14 microns. Palm healing, an ancient tradition in China, has used the healing properties of FIR rays for 3,000 years. Yogis in India also employ palm healing and recommend it especially for relieving eyestrain. Providing you use a FIR sauna with zero or minimal electromagnetic radiation, even if you are electro-sensitive you can benefit. In fact, as the metals (conductors of electricity) are removed and the body’s own energy field strengthens, tolerance of electromagnetic radiation from wi-fi, mobiles, etc., improves.
How can FIR benefit health?
Illnesses such as CFS, M.E., MS, Autism, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, fibromyalgia, Aerotoxic Syndrome, cardiovascular disease, neurological diseases and cancer are associated with chemical and metal poisoning and chronic viral infections. FIRSs safely remove toxins and help rid the body of viruses. Benefits can be felt within a few days, and for many people with environmental illnesses FIR can be the turning point.
Far Infrared :-
- Floods the body with healing energy, infusing the system with photons which are essential for healthy cell function
- Triggers metabolic pathways that have been under-functioning and boosts enzyme levels
- Strengthens the heart and improves circulation.
- Restores the blood supply to the micro-capillaries and organs. This starts the detox process and organs starved of oxygen and nutrients can start to heal
- There are many cases of wheelchair bound M.S. patients walking again after FIRS therapy
- Accelerates healing post-operatively
- Helps the body overcome chronic infections.
- Antidotes the effects of EMF radiation as it changes and strengthens your own energy system
- Restores healthy homeostasis
- Can leave you feeling relaxed and energised
- Restores skin elimination (sedentary living and sun damage can inactivate the skin)
- Removal of bio-unavailable calcium which can build up in the muscles causing stiffness.
Healthcare and medical professionals in Japan (and more recently in Canada) have been using far infrared thermal systems to rehabilitate and treat a multitude of ailments. It is used in Japanese hospitals in the treatment of heart disease as it restores heart function, and can be used in those with pacemakers (most chronically ill people have poor circulation and are chilly)
Dr Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Centre (a raw food therapy centre in the US) says it will help kill off cancer cells and other microbes.
How to use far infrared therapy
There are many ways of enjoying far infrared therapy:
- The Cocoon which can be turned to high temperatures if desired
- The Sleep System which is like an electric blanket and is used in the bed. The advantage of the Sleep System is that you don’t have to set aside time to use it and you receive 8 hours treatment every night whilst you are sleeping. The longer the exposure the quicker the results.
- The heated Mat which you can use when sitting at your desk or while watching TV
- The Car Mat which is great when travelling.
- The best results are achieved from daily sessions – even as little of 3 minutes if you are very ill and sensitive and then increasing by 30 seconds each day. However, for most people 15 minutes or just up to the point of sweating is fine. Most chemicals come out in the first few minutes of sauna-ing.
- It is good to do it daily but you may prefer to just do a couple of sessions a week to start with and build up. Have a cool shower as soon as the skin has warmed up. If you don’t do this the toxins released through the skin can be reabsorbed.
- Have a glass of water before and after sauna-ing.
- After 24 hours the chemicals redistribute from deeper tissues into the superficial layers, and the process can be repeated.
- After some weeks of sauna-ing, chemicals will be drawn out from even deeper layers. Massage may help mobilise them. It would certainly be good to have a sauna after a massage to avoid an unpleasant detox reaction.
- Remember that sweating doesn’t just contain toxins. It also contains minerals, so it is important to rehydrate with mineralised water, such as coconut water.
- Lie down in a warm bed or wrapped in a blanket for 30 minutes after sauna-ing.
Fluid and Minerals
It is important to drink before and after a sauna whether you sweat or not. Shungite water and/or raw coconut water would be ideal.
If you are interested in buying a Far Infrared Sauna for home use…
It is important to use medical grade far infrared sauna that is low EMF. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dr Sarah Myhill Limited.
Get Fitt Limited
Dr Brian Clements on Infrared Saunas and Detoxification (www.drmercola.com)
Conversation with Dr Claire Bowen.